مساحة إعلانية

الثلاثاء، 12 يناير 2016

الثلاثاء، 12 يناير 2016

Answer KeyUnit Seven: Word FormsGrammar Exercise Two

Answer Key
Unit Seven: Word Forms

Grammar Exercise Two
In the following essay, the italicized words are incorrect word forms. Cross out the incorrect word and write
above it the correct form of that same word.


I heard a talk recently on differences between male and female ways of communication. The speaker
had done a study in which she found that males attempt to dominate or to be the strongest and loudest
speaker in a group, whereas females tend much more to listen, to share, and to take turns. I have myself
observed that this is true. This observation leads me to believe that the feminine way of communication is
often superior.
You often find in classes that men talk more and talk louder. This is not necessarily because they have
something important to say, but because they see most situations as competitive, and talking the most and
the loudest seems to them to be a way to compete and win. I must admit that I, as a male, am aware that in
many situations in the past, when I found myself in groups, I always wanted to speak in order to show the
group what good ideas I had. I wouldn’t be listening very careful or appreciating or understanding other
people’s ideas but would rather be concentrating on thinking of the next thing that I would say. Actually, by
putting a lot of pressure on myself to perform well in such situations, I would be making myself feel tense and
uncomfortabe. I also think that other people would have liked it better if I had talked less and paid more
attention to what they were saying. In the past few years, I have been trying to talk less and to become a
better listener.
In families, children generally go to their mother to speak about their problems rather than to their
father. Women go to women friends more often than to male friends. A woman is more likely to listen quietly
and to let you say everything that you want to say about a situation. She is also more likely to understand and
sympathize with your feelings about a situation. Males are more likely to interrupt you before you finish
speaking, because they will get tired of listening and will want to speak themselves. They are also more likely
to react to ideas rather than to feelings.
Men may disagree with what you say, or give you advice about what you should do, or they will explain
why you shouldn’t be feeling the way that you do, especially if you are expressing a “weak” feeling, such as
being afraid or sad. None of these responses is likely to be as helpful as quiet, sympathetic listening.
To be sure, there are exceptions to the rule. Some men are extremely good, sympathetic listeners,
and some women are not. I do, however think the behaviors that are generally considered feminine rather
than masculine are most effective in encouraging good interpersonal communication.

Proofreading Exercise One
Correct the errors in the use of word forms in the following sentences:

1. When Laura asked Tom to let his mother talk, he was being patient to listen to his    mother’s speech.
2. Living under the same roof means having responsibilities and toleration.
3. Women had to stay married, even if their husbands treated them badly.
4. Steven had encouragement from his family.
5. The decision has made a big difference in my life.
6. In the poem, we see how the writer responds to her mother’s death.
7. I have strong feelings about the traditional Chinese father.
8. I realized that my father loved me, and I began to communicate with him.
9. To tell the truth, I hated my sister at the beginning.
10. She is an escapist.
11. Both escapism and insanity are distant from reality.
12. These words make the reader read the poem more carefully.
13. Children feel it is unfair when their parents treat them differently from their siblings.
14. In response, Laura shows Jim her glass collection.
15. A man can work in scientific or political fields.
16. A good wife gives a husband a sense of stability and happiness.
17. Happiness is the opposite of pain and sadness.
18. Love gives you the stability in life to grow stronger.
19. My father understands my difficulty with my college studies.
20. His words were so touching.


Proofreading Exercise Two
Correct the errors in the use of articles, nouns, verbs, punctuation and sentence structure, and word forms
(indicated in the margin) in the following essay:

The idea of women’s and men’s liberation is something that is progressing. It is a concept that is
unstable. It is always changing throughout the centuries. Nevertheless, we constantly find people who still
want to keep things and ideas in the old-fashioned way. My understanding of the words “women’s liberation”
is that it means to be free from the oppression of males and society. It also means a high regard, with
respect, personal integrity, and reputation. I realize that ___ women are not judged anymore by if they lose
their virginity before or after marriage but by what they have inside. I am not saying that this is a good thing
but it is part of the new liberation that women have. I think we should stop, and take some time to think about
it. Even ___ men. Men’s liberation is not about killing, and being always that person who can never be
defeated. In my opinion, men’s liberation is expressing their feelings, honesty, and to judge women the same
way they are judged.
Most women in this century have a voice nowadays. Now we have more jobs that were categorized
just for males. After World War I, women were given new opportunities; they stopped being categorized
only for domestic chores. Women also started to vote and started to get jobs in the government. They also
started movements to make their voice heard. Even though we have had all these advances, there are still
oppressed women in the world. There are women who are still under the control of their husbands. One
reason may be for the economic subsistence of their children. For example, I know a man by the name of
Sonny who is very responsible with his wife and his son. However, he is very possessive. He thinks that he is
the father of his wife. He wants to control her. He always tries to have ___ power over any woman that he
meets. He is a macho man. One time when I was in their house, my friend was talking on the phone and he
was listening to her conversation on the other phone. It is not right that men want to have ___ power over
___ women.
In brief, I will say that there has been an evolution in women and men’s liberation. Women nowadays
can say what they think and what they feel, and men can express their feelings.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

جميع الحقوق محفوظة لــ DZOFFERS 2017 ©