مساحة إعلانية

الثلاثاء، 12 يناير 2016

الثلاثاء، 12 يناير 2016

Answer KeyUnit Three: Active/Passive Verb Forms

Answer Key
Unit Three: Active/Passive Verb Forms
Proofreading Exercise One
Correct the errors in the use of verb forms in the following sentences:

1. Laura has a handicap and she has always struggled with an inferiority complex.
2. Since she met him, she realized that she was not the only person who suffers distress.
3. Boys like when a girl is dressed nicely.
4. The relationship between a man and woman is based on mutual love.
5. People are less concerned about their health than about how they would pay their bills.
6. The ancient Egyptians mummified their bodies to continue the soul after death.
7. We are part of a large mosaic that is called life.
8. Life is eventually ended by death.
9. Laura’s world is symbolized by a glass menagerie in Tennessee Williams’ play.
10. The mother in the story never asks her daughter what she is interested in.
11. I was surprised to see my father waiting for me.
12. The mother is concerned about her daughter’s reputation.
13. Men should judge women the same way they are judged.
14. When the first child is born, probably both parents experience happiness.
15. Mother-daughter relationships are based on many things, like love, understanding, and sometimes -
jealousy and competition.
16. In the future, everything will be changed.
17. Children will rebel if they are forced to do something they don’t want to do.
18. In my family, all the housework is done by my mother.
19. A good living environment must be provided by the father.
20. Too much attention was given to my little sister.

Proofreading Exercise Two
Correct the errors (indicated in the margin) in the use of articles, nouns and verbs in the following paragraphs:

1) My parents decided to have another baby when I was four years old. He got all the attention. Life
suddenly ___ changed. All the troubles started there. I felt that I had to get rid of that annoying creature, my
brother. When my mom got home and everyone just sat and stared at him, I got a plan. It was a beautiful plan.
It was a cold, rainy day and everyone was busy, so I took the stroller with my brother in it and brought it
outside. I felt good, but the moment was ruined very soon later, when everyone started to look for the baby. I
could not believe that they still needed him. I didn’t want him back. He was a thief. He stole love from me.

2) The idea of women’s and men’s liberation is something that is progressing. It is a concept that is
unstable. It is always changing throughout the centuries. Nevertheless, we constantly find people who still
want to keep things and ideas in the old-fashioned way. My understanding of the words “women’s
liberation” is that it means to be free from the oppression of males and society. It also means respect,
personal integrity and reputation. I realize that ___ women are not judged anymore by if they lose their
virginity before or after marriage, but by what they have inside. I am not saying that this is a good thing but it
is part of the new liberation that women have. I think we should stop, and take some time to think about it.
Even for men. Men’s liberation is to be not about killing, and being always that person who never is
defeated. In my opinion, men’s liberation is about expressing their feelings, honesty, and to judge women the
same way they are judged.

3) In the text “Girl,” we see a controlling mom, who simply wants her daughter to do the best she can
to become a decent woman. The mother teaches her a lot of different things, specifically concerning proper
behavior: “This is how to smile to someone you don’t like too much; this is how you smile to someone you like
completely.” As well, the mother is concerned about her daughter looking like “a slut”: “This is how to
behave in the presence of men who don’t know you very well, and this way they won’t recognize immediately
the slut I have warned you against becoming.” It must be a tough culture and society to live in, but these are
very rough words to say to your daughter. The girl is overwhelmed and she tries to justify herself when the
mom says this. I guess they don’t understand each other, since the girl is trying to say, “Mom, I am not that
bad,” but the mother does not seem to care. She does what she has to do - teach her daughter “how to live
right.”

ليست هناك تعليقات:

جميع الحقوق محفوظة لــ DZOFFERS 2017 ©