مساحة إعلانية

الثلاثاء، 12 يناير 2016

الثلاثاء، 12 يناير 2016

Grammar Rules Unit Three

Unit Three: Active/Passive Verb Forms

To review the previous chapter, the following are the most frequently used English verb tenses.

1) A mechanic is repairing my car right now. (present continuous)

2) A mechanic repairs my car every month. (present habitual)

3) A mechanic will repair my car tomorrow. (future tense), or
    A mechanic is going to repair my car tomorrow. (future with “going to”)

4) A mechanic repaired my car yesterday. (simple past)

5) A mechanic was repairing my car at 9 o’clock this morning. (past continuous)

6) A mechanic has repaired my car two times this month. (present perfect)

There are times (as in the above sentences) when we are probably more interested in the object of the verb
(the word that appears after the verb, in this case my car) than in the subject (the mechanic). If this is so, we
can move the original object to the beginning of the sentence and use a passive verb form, as in the following
sentences:

1) My car is being repaired right now. (by a mechanic)

2) My car is repaired every month.

3) My car will be repaired tomorrow.
    My car is going to be repaired tomorrow.

4) My car was repaired yesterday.

5) My car was being repaired at 9 o’clock this morning.

6) My car has been repaired two times this month.

Note that to make a passive verb form, we move the object of the verb to the front of the sentence, use the
verb to be in the same tense as the verb in the original sentence, and then use the past participle of the
original verb (something has been completed, has been done, has been written, has been read, etc.). We
can mention the original subject of the verb (in this case the mechanic) after the word by, but there is no need
to mention the original subject.
Proofreading Exercise One
Correct the errors in the use of verb forms in the following sentences:

1. Laura has a handicap and she is always struggled with an inferiority complex.
2. Since she met him, she was realized that she was not the only person who suffers distress.
3. Boys like when a girl is dresses nicely.
4. The relationship between a man and woman based on mutual love.
5. People less concern about their health than about how they would pay their bills.
6. The ancient Egyptians are mummified their bodies to continue the soul after death.
7. We are part of a large mosaic that calls life.
8. Life is eventually ending by death.
9. Laura’s world symbolized a glass menagerie in Tennessee Williams’ play.
10. The mother in the story never asks her daughter what she interested in.
11. I was surprise to see my father waiting for me.
12. The mother is concern about her daughter’s reputation.
13. Men should judge women the same way they are judge.
14. When the first child was born, probably both parents experience happiness.
15. Mother-daughter relationships based on many things, like love, understanding, and sometimes - jealousy
and competition.
16. In the future, everything will be change.
17. Children will rebel if they force to do something they don’t want to do.
18. In my family, all the housework done by my mother.
19. A good living environment must be provide by the father.
20. Too much attention was giving to my little sister.

Proofreading Exercise Two
Correct the errors (indicated in the margin) in the use of articles, nouns and verbs in the following paragraphs:

v    1) My parents decide to have another baby when I was four years old. He got
a-2, v all attention. Life suddenly has changed. All troubles started there. I felt that I
had to get rid of that annoying creature, my brother. When my mom got home
a-2 and everyone just sat and stared at him, I got plan. It was beautiful plan. It was
a-2 cold, rainy day, and everyone was busy, so I took a stroller with my brother in it
and brought it outside. I felt good, but the moment was ruined very soon later,
a when everyone started to look for a baby. I could not believe that they still
v-3, a needed him. I don’t want him back. He is the thief. He steals love from me.

2) The idea of women’s and men’s liberation is something that is progressing.
a,v It is concept that is unstable. It always changing throughout the centuries.
v Nevertheless, we constantly find people who still wants to keep things and ideas
a-2 in old-fashioned way. My understanding of words “women’s liberation” is that it
a means to be free from oppression of males and society. It also means respect,
a, v personal integrity and reputation. I realize that the women are not judge anymore
pl. v by if they lose their virginity before or after marriage, but by what she has inside.
a I am not saying that this a good thing but it is part of new liberation that women
have. I think we should stop, and take some time to think about it. Even for men.
Men’s liberation is not to be about killing, and being always that person who
v never be defeat. In my opinion, men’s liberation is about expressing their
v feelings, honesty, and to judge women the same way they are judge.

a-2, v    3) In text “Girl,” we see controlling mom, who simply want her daughter to do
a-3, v best she can to become decent woman. Mother teach her a lot of different things,
specifically concerning proper behavior: “This is how to smile to someone you
don’t like too much; this is how you smile to someone you like completely.” As
a, v well, mother is concern about her daughter looking like “a slut”: “This is how to
behave in the presence of men who don’t know you very well, and this way they
v won’t recognize immediately the slut I have warn you against becoming.” It must
a be tough culture and society to live in, because these are very rough words to say
a-2,v-2 to your daughter. Girl is overwhelm and she tried to justify herself when mom
v-2, a say this. I guess they didn’t understand each other, since girl trying to say,
a, v “Mom, I am not that bad,” but mother does not seems to care. She does what she
has to do - teach her daughter “how to live right.”

ليست هناك تعليقات:

جميع الحقوق محفوظة لــ DZOFFERS 2017 ©